I had a glass of beautiful, crisp champagne that tasted like a piece of heaven, followed by a whole lot of chicken liver pate, a slice of delicious roast lamb and ended off with a red velvet cupcake. Wow!! It all tasted so good…but it came at a price.
Monday morning I woke up with the most painful big toe…I was trying to remember if I had done some crazy dance move at the wedding but nothing came to mind. I then did a bit of research and all the signs were there…loud and clear! GOUT!
As you know I am on an extremely strict diet so by cheating on the one occasion made my body freak out and was under a uric acid attack!
Gout is basically caused by elevated levels of uric acid in the blood. The uric acid crystallizes, and the crystals deposit in joints, tendon and surrounding tissues. Symptoms are usually:
So off I went for a body cleanse, which is a detox foot bath where the release of “toxic” substances once feet are submerged and an electric current is initiated. Other remedies include:
- Including cherries in your diet. Cherries both sweet and sour cherries are full of antioxidants that can relieve inflammation and pain symptomatic of a gout attack.
- Eating apples can neutralize the levels of uric acid in the body.
- Bananas & Potatoes are high in potassium required to treat gout. Potassium helps transform crystals of uric acid into liquid form making them easier to be flushed out of the body.
Other gout friendly foods include:
- Green leafy vegetables such as cabbage, kale, and parsley
- Foods rich in vitamin C such as tomatoes, red bell peppers, oranges and red cabbage
You want to avoid the following foods to prevent gout from recurring:
- Organ meats such as brain, liver, and kidney
- Oily fish such as herrings, mackerel, scallops, and anchovies
- Refined sugar
- White flour
- Fried and oily foods
- Processed foods
- Canned foods
- Carbonated beverages
- Alcohol especially beer
- Meat extracts
I am going for another body cleanse today and I am drinking lots of water (have added a few drops of trace minerals to the water), eating loads of cherries, taking my EM probiotic bit.ly/1wdUPP1 and avoiding anything from the above list. This has really taught me that I am what I eat and I cannot afford to cheat and become complacent with my lifestyle and diet. It is so important to ensure that I stay focused and on track.